Workplace Noise Facts
Did you know?
- Four million Americans work amid hazardous noise levels every day.
- Occupational noise is a key culprit in hearing loss that occurs in adulthood.
- Workers’ compensation for hearing loss disability amounts to about $242 million each year.
- Some 34% of those exposed to workplace noise report that they skip hearing protection.
- More than 31 million Americans ages 6 to 69 have permanent hearing damage due to noise.
- Loud noise can destroy the inner ear’s hair cells, a crucial, irreplaceable part of healthy hearing.
- Quality hearing protection reduces noise intensity while still allowing the sounds you want to hear.
- Exposure to excess noise can lead to tinnitus, a common and potentially debilitating problem of buzzing, humming, or ringing in one or both ears.
- Hearing loss due to noise exposure is cumulative and could go unnoticed until years later, but the damage may continue to occur and be irreversible.